The New Bermuda Triangle?
In a previous post of mine I examined the disappearance of Flight 19 over the Bermuda Triangle and was rightly set straight by a reader who informed me about several documented, proven reasons behind the tragedy, none of which was based on the superstitions around BT. The current tragic news about a supposed “aircraft disappearance” is that of the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. I find this conjecture quite odd since the disappearance occurred somewhere over the South China Sea and the Bay of Bengal. planes are said to vanish without a trace. Several days ago, a Malaysian politician tweeted, “New Bermuda Triangle detected in Vietnam waters, well-equipped sophisticated devices are of no use!” This outraged many people, who deemed his comments insensitive, and he later apologized. Although certainly foolish I don’t find his comment to be insensitive. It’s a fact that well-equipped devices (and I believe he means in comparison to those available in the search for Flight 19 in December 1945) are far more superior today, yet we still can’t locate the aircraft. Doubtless he is correct about that but the hocus pocus about the disappearing plane at this point seems a little premature. The search has just begun. It’s a little early to lose hope about finding the airplane and to attribute this development to a non-existent phenomenon, although clearly the lives of 230 people are probably lost forever whether the plane is found or not.
Personally I don’t see anything mystic in this airplane “disappearance.” It actually reminds me of the shoot down of Iran Air Flight 655 by the U.S. navy warship Vincennes, some 20-odd years ago. Is it possible someone took out Flight 370 and we haven’t been informed, or it hasn’t yet been discovered? I think so. Someone somewhere is in a lot of trouble. Then again I’m a skeptic. I don’t believe in the supernatural, ESP, psychic vision or any of that silly stuff. The “original” Bermuda Triangle myth was based on 3 unproven (and ridiculous) facts:
- Blame it on Atlantis, the mythical city at the bottom of the sea using its “crystal energies” to sink ships and planes. Of course Atlantis exists. That’s Aquaman’s city.
- Other more fanciful suggestions include time portals and extraterrestrials— including rumors of underwater alien bases. That’s not at all weird.
- Still others believe the explanation lies in some sort of extremely rare and natural geological or hydrological phenomena. Now that’s the kind of energy we need to harness. Kind of makes Niagara Falls a bit redundant, don’t you think?
Sometimes things happen on this earth that we just cannot explain and we have to accept that. Is a magical force claiming human lives and aircraft and navy ships? Obviously not. That’s akin to a child’s fears of a monster hiding in the closet. When air traffic controllers lose sight of an airplane on a radar, it doesn’t point to a supernatural explanation. Maybe the disappearance will be solved one day. Maybe it won’t and that’s just the way it is sometimes. There will always be unexplained phenomenon on this earth. It’s part of what makes living on this planet so fascinating, and so tragic. Btw, if you’re interested in reading about what really happened to Flight 19 as it soared over BT and thereby maintaining a healthy skepticism, check out this publication: “The Bermuda Triangle Mystery – Solved” (Prometheus Books, 1972), by Larry Kusche. He debunked the myth of the non-existent triangle, although many people hang onto this tale out of sheer ghoulish delight. In the interim, for the lost Flight 370 I sincerely wish all those on board well. If it is in Bermuda, I hope the passengers are sunning themselves on the beach and have not mysteriously disappeared in a whirl of mysticism. Or cynicism for that matter.
No comments yet.
- The Body Beautiful Remains a Dangerous Obsession
- Why Pot Grow-Ops Should Never Be Legalized
- Is Sex Addiction Real?
- I Like Lions
- The Male Perspective on Marriage
- the Marquis de Sade and Social Media
- Because You’re Worth It
- Dry Drowning and Internal Suffocation Happens Easier than You’d think
- Comely Cougars and Cagey Catches
- Stupid Financial Advice that will put You in the Poor House
- Eating Insects isn’t a Foreign Delicacy
- Why not just leave her at the Altar?
- WordPress Blog
- Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist
- Shit My Dad Says
- The Minimalist
- frugal for life
- Special Education Workshop: Bill 212/Anti-Bullying Laws in Ontario Education
- The Good Greatsby
- Marty Nemko's Website
- Awful Deals
- Forget the Truthn Acceptn Your Curse
- silab garza
- male survivors of sexual abuse trust
- I was a foster kid
- bryant watch
- Marilyn Forever