I’m Anti-Harper, Not Anti-Capitalism
There is a significant, qualitative difference between the two, I’m sure you can appreciate. I enjoy living in a (formerly) democratic society where profiteering (when it’s done honestly) and capitalism thrive. Would I want to live like a commie and get into 45 minute bread lines as if the Great Depression were a way of life? Heck, no. Under a dictatorship? Obviously not. Okay so Harper is a close second but it’s not his regime of terror to which I refer. I am proud to be Canadian and to live in a society that has so many financial, material, social and educational benefits. Have these things provided me with a satisfying life? You betcha. It’s the cutthroat, corporate, dictatorship tactics of the Tory government that I loathe. Consider the budget elimination for the following:
- Malawi relief
- Sisters in Spirit – an agency that conducted research into missing and murdered Canadian Aboriginal women
- 1 billion dollar funding cut for day care and education in Canada
- Budget cut for furthering investigation into climate change worldwide, leading international scientists to insist that Canada be removed from the Commonwealth
- Obliteration of the Kelowna Accord.
- Double the rate of funding for “Bad Guy Hotels” – Harper plans to double annual prison spending by 2015 (an increase of $5 billion annually), despite the fact that crime rates have been falling for a decade….except it makes sense in one respect: where else is Harper going to house his disgraced MPs and Integrity Commissioner? Always thinking ahead, that man.
- Cuts to Women’s Groups – Harper has cut funding for women’s advocacy by 43 per cent, shut 12 out of 16 Status of Women offices in Canada and eliminated funding of legal voices for women and minority groups.
- Obliterating the Middle Class – Over 321,000 Canadians lost their jobs in 2008 and Canadians’ average wages fell while Canada’s 100 wealthiest persons became richer, reaching an average net worth of $1.7 billion each.
- Sweatshops…Walmart, Nike, Firestone…need I elaborate?
Do I want to maintain a capitalist Canada? Yes I do. But I want it maintained with integrity (pun), and without obliterating classes and groups of human beings. I want to keep the education budget intact … lower the standards and resources for education, Harper, and kiss your capitalism goodbye. Erode the medical system and allow people to die needlessly, rather like a developing country (Malawi perhaps?).
Keep the capitalism foundation. Lose the Harper infrastructure. Bring in the Liberals to mash corporate Canada with socialist NDP. Not a plausible task of late but hey, whoever said being Prime Minister was going to be easy?
Certainly not Trudeau.
No comments yet.
- The Body Beautiful Remains a Dangerous Obsession
- Why Pot Grow-Ops Should Never Be Legalized
- Is Sex Addiction Real?
- I Like Lions
- The Male Perspective on Marriage
- the Marquis de Sade and Social Media
- Because You’re Worth It
- Dry Drowning and Internal Suffocation Happens Easier than You’d think
- Comely Cougars and Cagey Catches
- Stupid Financial Advice that will put You in the Poor House
- Eating Insects isn’t a Foreign Delicacy
- Why not just leave her at the Altar?
- WordPress Blog
- Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist
- Shit My Dad Says
- The Minimalist
- frugal for life
- Special Education Workshop: Bill 212/Anti-Bullying Laws in Ontario Education
- The Good Greatsby
- Marty Nemko's Website
- Awful Deals
- Forget the Truthn Acceptn Your Curse
- silab garza
- male survivors of sexual abuse trust
- I was a foster kid
- bryant watch
- Marilyn Forever