Ridiculous TV ads from the 1950s
The 50s were a time in North America when Federal government tried hard to make people return to classic male and female roles after the Second World War. There was a strong feminist backlash: women wanted to work; they wanted their independence; they wanted their own money. Men wanted their wives back in the kitchen while they continued as the sole breadwinners. Must have been a few divorces over that one, eh? The idiotic sexist/racist media propaganda to influence a return to sexist roles included utterly inane television ads in the 50s and 60s, as well as short films and documentaries that were an insult to human intelligence.
Racist Jello Ad - at the end of the ad the narrator says: “is good commercial, no?’ Um, no.
1961 First Ever Barbie Doll’s Boyfriend Ken Commercial – gee, it’s swell
1950’s ad for VEL detergent – 4:02 – he’ll never have to help with the dishes
FAB detergent – “that’s just like a woman!”
50’s Marilyn Monroe Royal Triton Commercial – “put royal triton in Cynthia’s little tummy.”
Awesomely sexist Pepsi commercial – stay slim and beautiful for your husband by drinking Pepsi (MM part II)
Vintage Ad- Volvo – better get her an automatic
1964 sexist Riviera Ad – an awesome machine that only a man can really understand
Mysoginistic Goodyear Tire Commercial – when a woman’s at the wheel look out!
Attitudes toward working women in the 50’s – should she really be working?
Sexist old coffee ad – harvey’s birthday coffee – she admits her coffee sucks!
Old Sexist Ad – Folger’s Coffee – the girls at the office make way better coffee than her
Value of Housewife #1 if the housewife’s time is “not too highly valued”
Before Women’s Lib – a little clip from Leave it to Beaver – “women can’t cook outdoors they need modern appliances.”
50s sexism in Mickey Mouse club – every girl gets a complete makeup analysis
Short documentary for companies who needed encouragement to hire women. “The Trouble with Women.” Hey at least this one tries to back us up by 1950s standards.
No comments yet.
- Rotten, Rueful Ending for Riotous, Raucous Robin Williams
- Stupid Financial Advice that will put You in the Poor House
- Eating Insects isn’t a Foreign Delicacy
- Why not just leave her at the Altar?
- It Brightens! It Whitens! It Kills!
- A Sure-Fire Way to Lose Weight and Feel Great when You Are Way Past 20…For Real
- Growing Old with Surgery doesn’t Mean Growing Old Ungracefully
- The Black Dahlia Lives On…
- Harrowed Hoarders Hurt from Haunted Habits
- The War on Drug Addicts
- Holy Houdac Horrors, Batman!
- Beauty and the Beast
- WordPress Blog
- Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist
- Shit My Dad Says
- The Minimalist
- frugal for life
- Special Education Workshop: Bill 212/Anti-Bullying Laws in Ontario Education
- The Good Greatsby
- Marty Nemko's Website
- Awful Deals
- Forget the Truthn Acceptn Your Curse
- silab garza
- male survivors of sexual abuse trust
- I was a foster kid
- bryant watch
- Marilyn Forever